Tuesday, May 02, 2006

April 30, 2006: The mega Mecca Mall

Since I was unsuccessful at hooking my laptop up to the Internet at the Times, I would now have to do the unthinkable: take a taxi to Mecca Mall with the sole purpose of visiting the Starbucks, one of the only places in the city that has wi-fi. It’s remarkable how much of my time, equipment, and energy is spent trying to communicate with others. Think about it…Internet connection, email access, acquiring a cell phone, hauling my laptop, film camera, DSLR camera, AND web-cam half-way across the world, this blog…all this, this..stuff…somone better damn well be reading this. I’ve decided I will go on vacation after this to some place where everything I need can fit in a fanny pack.

I stop in the corner grocery store to break a $50 JD bill and ask the owner how much I should expect the taxi to cost (he’s one of the few people in the neighborhood who speaks English). Seconds later I’m heading toward Mecca. The taxi driver says something to me in Arabic. I shake my head and smile. He asks me (in Arabic) if I speak Arabic. “La,” I reply. He then proceeds to ask me in English where I am from, whether I am someone’s wife, why I’m in Jordan, how old I am, whether I like Jordan, who I’m here with, why I don’t have a husband, how long I’m staying etc. etc. Fortunately, the twenty questions ended fairly quickly as the taxi ride was pretty short.

As seems to be the norm here, bags are hand-checked by a security guard, men are frisked, and entry is gained only by walking through a metal detector. The mall is a five level shrine of western capitalism and here you can find virtually every indulgence you could ask for, except a good selection of movies playing in their cinema. I’ve resisted the Mrs. Fields cookie stand twice now, but I’m not sure if I can hold out much longer. Starkbucks here is just like home including its larger than life muffins. I think I’m even sitting on the same fabric that they have in the one down the street from my apartment in Seattle.

I’ve been here for a while now using the Internet; people watching is a constant diversion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes we're reading. Keep WRITING!
-sis

Anonymous said...

Ditto! We're reading! Great stuff, Heather!