Sunday, February 24, 2008

My New Island Home

February 23, 2008

I flew into Chios on the first flight out of Athens. The first signs of dawn were beginning to show and as I looked out the window the prop from the small plane was silhouetted by the magenta and blue of the sunrise. This is what I was hoping for: to fly into the island with some light so I could get a view of my new surroundings by air. The flight was short, just 35 minutes, and we were soon beginning to descend. I could see the island in the distance—alone in the Aegean sea and a ridge of mountains rising out of the water like the back of some sleeping dinosaur. I couldn’t pull my eyes away and as we got closer to the island I greedily took in the details below.

Small roads wound about the hills, some paved, but many of them dirt. This must be an off-roaders paradise. I saw multiple secluded harbors and beaches, and I could tell by the rich blue in the dim morning light that in full daylight this water would be a vivid teal. Even from so far above, I could see straight through to the ocean floor.

Movement from below caught my eye and I saw a man cruising on a bicycle on a deserted road. The road was protected on one side by a stone wall and I followed his route as he passed by villa after villa. I inadvertently smiled like a Cheshire cat as I watched him—ah…this is one of things I would do—ride a bike through the hills at dawn with my camera. The architecture reminded me so much of Italy, could it be Italy on an island?

In a matter of moments we had landed and I approached one of the smallest airports I had ever been in. I went straight to baggage claim and looked around half-expecting to see Huong and Mr Vardakas waving at me, but was greeted only by my heavy luggage. All of it, thankfully. I had been forced to check some of my precious equipment and was crossing my fingers tightly that it wouldn’t get lost or damaged. In this I had faced my first financial setback. Olympic Air had a weight restriction that I hadn’t prepared for: everything combined had to be 30 kilos. My total weight was at 55 kilos. I must have spent 2 hours at the check-in counter going back and forth, packing and repacking. This hadn’t been an issue on British Airways and the Olympic Air agent looked at me with pity as he told me each additional kilo would be 10 £, and at 25 kilos overweight that would be a total of 250 £, which thanks to our weak dollar, that’s $500 to me.

He left me on the sidelines to think about my options. None of which were any easier or less expensive. Left baggage costs close to 7£ a day, but then I would have the added burden of coming back to Heathrow sooner than expected to retrieve my bags, not to mention the unexpected airfare costs. I could call Joe and run into London quickly and store some bags at his place, but I only had 2 hours before my flight left for Athens, not enough time to get there and back. I could ship stuff home, but shipping from the airport would cost a premium and I didn’t trust my sleep-deprived mental state to be able to decide what I needed and what I didn’t, I thought I had been so good at coming with the necessities. What was really causing all the weight was my equipment. I was traveling with 3 camera bodies, 7 lenses all of which were premium glass—even heavier than the actual camera bodies, two flashes, filters, special film, laptop, hard drive, cables, connectors, flash drives, card readers, power adapters, converters, etc. etc… Needless to say, I ended up paying the $500.

7 comments:

lance mercer said...

needless to say I woke up to the sounds and sights of lovely Georgetown...trade ya?!
Sounds amazing and sux bout the extra baggage weight..been there...dont worry your gonna make it back with all your beautifull photographs...glad you made it...post some pics soon..
LM

Juice said...

So glad you made it safe and sound...It appears that it is a peacful island..for now...you must prepare and warn the locals of the "chicas locas" to come!!! Sorry about your luggage...guess I won't be packing any rocks....Keep us posted my pretty girl!! Can't wait for the pics...and see you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it safe. $500 is about the same as theft. What would the cost have been for another person to get a one way ticket from London (I'm guessing less)? Glad to see your safe and sound and anxious to see your pics.

christy nieto said...

I look forward to future posts... Thank you for the beautiful descriptions. I feel like I'm embarking on this adventure with you. And, I'm already hurting from the luggage fee. I had a similar experience when landing in New Zealand. We missed a connection, had to pay for new tickets out of pocket and then got pulled over 2 hours later with hefty tickets for no seatbelts. No worries, all should go smoothly now. Love from Bellingham.

Unknown said...

I'm just now hearing of your adventures for the first time! What an amazing writer you are, I feel like I'm there with you. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but they will hopefully soon be forgotten. I can't wait to see pictures...so glad you are safe and sound.

renie said...

(groan)! $500! that's a hit to the pocket. You got everything you wanted over there, that's the important part. You'll be making that money back with all the new and exciting jobs you will be taking on. Send pictures of the ocean, and the sand, let me know what I need to prepare for when I visit! I'm glad you're safe and you made it there in once piece, luggage and all. -IK

Anonymous said...

Well written article.